Sunday, August 13, 2006

Othello and related thoughts

Othello seems to be the flavor of the season and I certainly cannot escape it.

Saw Omkara two weeks ago - its one of those movies which I may not like so much, but one that will stay in my mind for a long, long time.

I dont like it so much because of its uneven pace and because of the inevitable comparisons with Maqbool that had a subtlety about it which I enjoyed more than the in-your-face rawness of Omkara.

However, I admire the movie - unlike arty cinema, the rawness is not put on and just sucks you in naturally. There is also a tremendous, nearly sexual, energy in the movie. It's the most thrilling climax I have seen in a long long time (the last time I sat riveted in my chair like this was in Matrix, I think) and the performances - both the extroverted and the quiet - are effective.

Last evening, I went for the play Othello. Expecting the standard tragedy, I was pleasantly surprised to realise that there was quite an unusual plot - during the making of the play Othello, the story of Othello gets enacted by the cast's own personalities and personal lives. The plot could have backfired had it not been supported by a cast of fabulous professionals (even to my untrained eyes) who brought out nuances that a movie just can not.

Related thoughts - (considering that all art is essentially about discovery)

> I am not sure where my liking for darker, more complex stories started or stems from. I just know that I like them. However, such stories are the easiest to go wrong with. Example, Dangerous Liaisons which is brilliant and its remake - Cruel Intentions - which is trash.

> I know one thing for sure - I continue to be turned on by talent and intelligence (they usually go together) rather than by looks and charm.

> Beauty is often found in the most unexpected of places. The harsh landscapes of UP, the pained lines on a man's face - both can be incredibly alluring

No comments: