Sunday, December 18, 2005

Romance in December

Eons ago (actually 16 months ago) I had posted about some of my favorite romantic numbers in Hindi. Today while driving to work, I suddenly realised I had missed out 2 crucial ones...here's the updated list -

Yeh Vaada Raha" - a smile on your face, mischief in your eyes, sunshine all around, the kind of song that is 'our song'!

"Bahon Ke Darmiyan" - slow, deep bliss ; being a part of one another ; whats there on your face? Is it the rain or tears?

"Jab koi baat..." - a pleasing tune, easily hummable. simple, poetic lyrics that dont make you stretch. sung with a slight smile and genuine emotion

"Woh pehli baar.." - sheer exuberance of first love, all the ecstacy without the pain

"Na to karavan ki talaash hai.." - never mind that I dont understand one third of the words, I totally understand the song. The passion, the detailing...the mix of love n faith n spiritual angst...the technically perfect singing. This song defines bliss for me.

"Yeh kahaan aa gaye hum..." - on the surface, a pleasantly tuned typical Hindi film song. But listen carefully to the tone of Lata's voice at some points, its bittersweet. Hear the words which Amitabh uses, he's in love and he's angry as well. This is a song that you can hum and think about at the same time.

No comments: