Sunday, December 25, 2005

Movie moments

As I watched Lamhe on Saturday afternoon, I realised that despite the hundreds of excellent movies I have watched on TV (Star/HBO/TNT/DVDs), there is a special magic about the movie moments created in a theatre. Some that I could remember right now...

The darkened dome, the glimpses of red carpeting in soft side lights, Waheeda Rehman’s voice echoing in the wood paneled surroundings…my first movie in a theatre became my all time favorite. How many moments can I choose? When Anil K asks Sri if he can call her by her name? When the magic of Sri and Rajasthan and the blue n yellow outfit wove its spell in “morni baaga ma”? when Sri drives away in a car with unshed tears? When he places the necklace on her neck? The moments are endless, each one more magical and heart rending than the other.(Paras, Nehru Place, Del)

Baahon ke Darmiyan…the sheer sensuality of love, tender kisses, rain on the windowpanes, the tears and the passion, Manisha's scared, needy eyes, Salman's softness. (Tribhuvan, Majestic, Blr)

Leo was in the water, freezing to death. And Rose was on the wood plank, watching him die. And I sobbed into my hanky. And sobbed. And sobbed….(Chanakya, Del)

Ripples appeared on the surface of the water in the glass. From far off, a horrifying sound came. And the flooring under the seat trembled. Moments later, we all gazed open mouthed as the T-rex ran roaring after the trapped children. A few reels later, we clutched at each other when the preto (whatever..) jumped up through the gap in the steel floor. Excitement was forever benchmarked as far I was concerned. (Plaza, MG, Blr)

A nationwide hysteria was building up and I was only too happy to be a part of it. I stood in the long queue, purchased tickets with the last of my money, sat in the front row and happily mouthed the lyrics of each one of the 9 (10?11?) songs. I giggled at Salman’s wisecracks and cried at Renuka’s death. (Galaxy, Blr)

The movie started. The pulsating rhythm slowly built up into a crescendo of hypnotic beats reverberating through the huge hall. SRK jumped on the train and it was all I could to resist doing the same on the seats. (Chanakya, Del)

Mini sized theatre smelling of sweat and tobacco. I went there again and again and again. To get my fix of laughter. “mera naam crime master gogo hai” still has the same effect. (name forgotten, Majestic, Blr)

Trinity rose like a rexine coated eagle, hands apart, eyes pierced, legs positioned for maximum damage. Hard rock played in the background, the entire theatre sat stunned in silence, the man from ludhiana slept in the seat next to mine. And another benchmark was set.
(PVR, Del)

No comments: