Monday, December 05, 2005

Cynicism and Cheer

I wish I could come with better subjects than the types which are a direct reflection of what my post is all about. But then thats how my communication usually is - quite simple and direct. I realised this during the seminar too - unlike so many presenters I admire, I am rarely able to weave a story around any presentation and make it more entertaining. My presentations are usually content dependent and since the content is usually quite staid, the delivery is pretty straightforward.

Anyway, this post is not about communication styles...its about 3 unrelated incidents yesterday which left me feeling miserable. Of course, the sense of misery probably won't come through because I am feeling much better today, thanks to a Shaan special on radio today morning....he always brings a smile to my face!

Mum mailed sending a detailed view on how anjan's and dolly's discussions are going regarding their future plans. Keeping in mind current financial situation/future savings/job opportunities/baby plans etc., they will most probably be staying in Dhk for another 2 years. Naturally no one is actually happy about this decision, but what needs to be done etc etc. Why is this upsetting? Because recent incidents have left us feeling even more insecure and I would like to be around the people I love the most and because this impacts my plans for staying in Blr/Del or somewhere else and because this is linked to so many other thoughts n fears n apprehensions that I dont even want to go down that path....

I had my PM rollout yesterday and decided (masochist me) to make it less about process n timelines and more about discussion on PM principles etc. As a result, probing questions during the presentation revealed a TL declaring that he hadn't seen his DP for 2 years; 100 people admitting that they haven't looked at their goal sheets for the past 4 months; another employee declaring her belief that the elements of SA, GS and DP in the PM process could be done away with and we could just focus on the ratings part; and barely 20% of the population murmuring a soft "yes" to whether PM process adds any value to them or not. Why upsetting? The perception of PM process as a formality; the non realization of the potential of the PM process as a potent career tool; the reaffimation of my increasing cynicism around HR Ops; the implied failure of our managers to build quality in the process.

Deliverables around communication assigned to C, N n A. None of them met, no revert either. This despite reiterating the criticality of these tasks, despite the advance notice of a week, despite knowledge of the consequences. Why upsetting? The team hasn't learnt; there continues to be lack of sync in value system and work ethic; the credibility of the team itself is in question.

The precursor to this day was my observation over the weekend which I had described in the previous post - about people just scratching the surface of others' realities (this is arguably one of the worst sentences I have ever written, or anyone has ever written). These 4 together strike at the very heart of my current mindscape - family ties; passion about work; leading teams; people/relationships. These incidents/observations strike and explode and leave me wounded, the hopes/fears/apprehensions/depressions unveiled and exposed. To be confronted and tended to. I have a feeling that's what the next year is going to be all about. M got his answer.


No comments: