Monday, October 08, 2012

Waiting

The headiness of the year is coming to an end. Perhaps hastened by the slew of unpleasant news. Or the inevitable resurgence of harsh realities in the face of sweet denial. Looks like it's time to take decisions. Cut through the clutter, go back to basics, examine your core values, look around you to assess impact...and decide the road you want to take. Or...you could just ignore all this and close your eyes and know what you want and...plunge.

But that's the crux of it. Is this about what we want? Or has it become about what we need? Or even more, what's the right thing to do? The egoist in me refuses to concede and stakes claim to what I believe is rightfully mine. The realist in me advises to look for what we need...especially in the long run. The humanist in me forces me to look at the right thing to do.

Even as the head and heart aches with the processing of so much of thought and emotion that accompanies each of these questions, I am aware that, thankfully, I don't really need to decide. The decisions will be made for me. The family will chart their own journey and I shall observe. The kingmakers shall provide me opportunities as they see fit and I shall follow. And Vik will sort out his mind and his heart and tell me, verbally or otherwise, where he is going...and I shall retreat or accompany, as the case may be.

Again, the egoist in me rebels at the thought of the course of my next few years being in the hand of so many external hands. Yet I remind myself - it's not the events in our life that shape us, its what we do with them and how we react.

So...my destiny remains in my hands. I shall just wait for the events to unfold. Eyes closed, fingers crossed. 

No comments: