Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Two Trips

For quite a while, I had been extremely irritated that my "weekend" trips have become a thing of the past. These were brief holidays and respites from the daily madness of life, that I used to enjoy a lot...partly for the trip itself and the sightseeing etc. and partly for the company of close friends. Over several years, these trips, particularly the ones with D, formed a cherished part of my memories, both in my heart and photo albums!

Recently I got the chance to do two quick trips like this, and I took the chance. They were not the typical "driving out of Blr" trips that I used to have, but that doesn't matter...the end intent was the same...to be in a new environment and spend time close friends.

The first was Hyd...a city where I was going for the first time. We started the weekend with our first love - Jodha Akbar - and the "shahenshahi" flavor continued through the day with Qutab Shahi Tombs and Golconda Fort. It was very, very nice to explore an area of history that we weren't so familiar with...and as we racked our brains to establish linkages with pieces of history that we DID know, we realised how out of touch we were with something that we have both interest and inclination towards. Sometimes I think of the boring conversations I have had recently and wonder if that time wouldn't have been better spent doing some interesting stuff like this...unfortunately, Blr is sadly bereft of history :( Anyway, the history lesson continued through to Charminar which i found to be much more impressive than I expected. Its not majestic or imposing but instead an extremely charming structure with very good detail. The surrounding areas are of course fascinating, not the least because of the good food. Two strong impressions that these trips have left behind are of pride and regret. Pride because of our truly interesting and complex heritage...Hyderabad for example, is named after a queen Hyder Begum, who was first a Hindu princess married to a Sultan who was much in love with her. This is such a prime example of the confluence of cultures that symbolise our history and which is now being distorted by wily politicians and an extremely dumb and witless mass of people. The regret is due to our sheer inability to preserve and present this heritage and use it for awareness, education and tourism. Despite having so many resources like these, our country is still "undeveloped" as a society and that again is due to the wily politicians taking advantage of dumb people. Case in point - how many middle class families pay any importance to history and culture in their children's upbringing?

The Hyd trip had other good aspects too - the Ramoji Film City (strangely exciting to even a jaded person like me!) and Firangi Pani, where I saw people DANCE!!!!!! Wow...people in other worlds dance...and that too without fear...wow....

:)

Another aspect that hit me about Hyd was the crowd - the mass of young men clad in synthetic brightly colored shirts, with colored hair, and tight pants and nasal accent ceased to be "exotic" within a few hours and moved to "ewwww!" category for the most part! The women are pretty though!!

Spending time with D was great too...more than anything else, his presence, like Mum, L, Unni etc...calms me and makes me feel sane again. Its not as if we have long, involved conversations - we dont! - its just his quiet understanding, dry humor, insightful observations on the world around and the common love of books and movies that has this effect.

Delhi trip came about by chance - I have Rinku to thank for it!! A CAW workshop became a 4-day trip of which I spent two with Shweta - sensible, funny, grounded, intelligent conversations about the world in general, and our life in particular! Thursday was a perfect day - a loooooooong lunch with wine and music, a drive to CP, Metro ride to Old Delhi, Red Fort, the Sound n Light show, rickshaw to Jama Masjid, dinner at Karim's. Like a silly tourist, I am again so overwhelmed by the sights, sounds and smells of that area that I can hardly find descriptions! (actually I can, but I am so lazy that I dont want to type them...anyway, who cares about exact descriptions anyway, its not as if I am writing a column!). Friday night out was fun too...drinks at Buzz (incl. Absolut Pepper, yay!!), movie at PVR (at 12 at night - cool, I am such a country bumpkin) and paranthas n tea at a highway dhaba at 3 am!

The weekend was with Shk, accompanying him on shopping trips through the malls. I am pleased to announce that I crossed a milestone in my shopping career when I facilitated the purchase of Bulgari shades with numbered lenses worth about Rs.30k in total!! I was also present when about 50% of the Body Shop outlet was bought out (ok, I exaggerate, it was 20!!). More than the shopping, I actually unwinded at his nice house and in the pleasant company of Ch, his kiddo Harshit and of course, him. No, I didnt unwind with him. He winds me up instead!!! Because of his nature, and also because of the increasing distance between our worlds, he is SOOOO irritating, especially since he uses that as a route to get attention and make conversation!! I always lose my temper with him and then regret it later when I have said "bye" because I genuinely miss him a lot. Like D, his presence is also important for me, mainly because of the simplicity and genuineness of his emotions.

So...these were my trips. Not captured on camera for a change...dont know why...but important nevertheless. Hope this sets the trend for this year :)

No comments: