Saturday, April 14, 2007

my HK trip :)

This was certainly one of the best holidays ever! Outings to attractive tourist places, shopping expeditions, exploratory walks, drinking evenings...all conducted in a cool weather, with convenient transport, polite people and in the company of one of my closest friends....this certainly was one of the BEST holidays ever!

But more than a holiday, its the city of Hong Kong that I am totally fascinated by (and like all my fascinations, maybe even a little in love with!). I dont know what part of my trip enamored me the most...

The area in and around the Central Business District - awe inspiring buildings, the intricasies of streets at multiple levels, the focus and sharpness of the people thronging the sidewalks, the convenient elevated walkways and escalators, the unique, cool eateries, the rightfully expensive stores - its a place that I spent two half-days walking there and yet could easily spend many more! I didn't really have to do anything, I just walked and absorbed and felt very comfortable, yet very turned on.

The sheer option of "things to do" (something I constantly feel the lack of in Blr). Within an hour of your decision, you could be walking along the Avenue of Stars walk along the sea, admiring the skyline and observing the people around you...or you could be on the peak, taking a walk in a quiet lane with the lights of the city twinkling beneath you...or you could be on an island, enjoying the small eateries and a long, picturesque walk...or you could choose from the multiple "types" of markets to explore...or you could visit an entertainment/theme park...sigh...I know I sound like a sales brochure, but I cant get over it.

Like Bombay and Delhi, HK also appeals for those like me who enjoy observing a melting pot of cultures....heavily Westernised, yet unique in its own skin...Chinese influence evident in a lot of explicit and implicit...containing a virtual army of expats, from finance/IT professionals to small time businessmen...this is one city where I could spend as much observing people, as the sights.

I am not denying the appeal of the trips to historical Hampi or breathtakingly beautiful Narkanda...but the appeal of a big, thriving, entertaining, interesting, convenient city is great altogether!

No comments: