Sunday, September 16, 2012

Suddenly it crashed around me....


Will my family fall apart? Will I be able to help everyone through with dignity and sanity? How have I contributed to this? Could I have taken different decisions a long time ago? Have I been irresponsible? How much pain can Mummy go through without giving in? How much does Dolly need to bear? Is this something to do with us as a family? Are we inherently dysfunctional, under the guise of unconventionality? Are the others right? Would Daddy’s being around made it better? Or worse?

A drive to office. Irritating mails from the idiot. Potluck with the team. Laughter. Food. Cake. A mock-fight with Nithya. A spontaneous decision to bunk office and watch Barfi. Immediate booking of tickets. Appreciating the ones who got the food. Keeping spirits high. An sms exchange with Mum.  Then the movie. A muted implosion of thought and emotion, a rumination on love and loss. Too many uncomfortable parallels. Leaves me in tears. Which I cant show.

What am I doing? In the name of “connect” or whatever fancy word we use, is this the right thing to do? Or is this to be embraced and experienced, as long as it feels right? Can the feelings itself be trusted? How about betrayal? How about trust? How about the guilt? Isn’t that valid too? Can I distance myself from one but not the other? Am I making a fool of myself? Or of him? Have I been the cause of someone else’s pain? Am I heading downhill? Or is this like a glider…flying high, yet fragile, about to crash? Have I even experienced what I think I have?

A drive back home.  Unable to talk to Vik. A show at home. Of normalcy, of calmness. See the gifts purchased. Enquire after logistics. Assure and reassure Arav. Read a book blankly. Check mails. Work. An sms from UP, a mail from Becky. A heavy dinner, a cup of tea. Some silence in the balcony. Desultory conversation. More mails. Get some of the emotion out, write about Barfi.

Where is it going? Can I keep trusting that thing I call “destiny”? Does everything actually happen for a reason, or is that a consolation? Is it ok to not get irritated or frustrated and adopt the “all at the right time” approach? Am I just being unrealistic? Am I also part of the current brigade that has an inflated view of their own abilities and value? Am I also a frog in the well? Am I being unfair, or are Becky/ UP and the others? Do I continue to trust my instincts or let the thought process dictate my decisions?

Finally, bed. Toss and turn. And finally drift into another disturbed sleep. Teeth fall out, he makes love to me. And cries. I wake up sweating. What does this all mean?

No comments: