Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Fury

I walked closer to the shore and felt as if I was in a silent movie. The rustle of the trees in the wind, the cry of the animals of the night, my footsteps on the slushy path, or even my own breath - I was conscious of each one but couldn't hear a single sound. All I could hear was a deafening roar, the kind of roar that penetrates to your very being and digs out every single fear you have ever had and drags it to the front.

The shore itself was an extension of the theme of a movie. Or maybe pretending this was a movie was the only way I could keep my fear at bay. Black rocks glistening with moisture stretched endlessly to my right and every couple of minutes, a tongue of white would make its way up and lap at them, steady in its intent to erode and corrupt. The moon, full and high, shone on the sea far into the distance and I watched with a glimmer of foreboding as a silver line formed at the edge of my vision and slowly moved forward, timing with precision my heightening emotion. All thoughts were erased from my mind as the line of white became larger and larger with every passing second, resolving into multiple parts, each more ferocious looking than the other. Just as it rose into a wall of white fury, a spray of mist blinded me momentarily and I just sensed, but didn't see, as it crashed into the boulders that stood between it and me. In that split second of silence just after the crash, I could hear the trees swaying behind me as if consternation. Or maybe a warning...after all, they had been around much longer and seen the damage and tragedy this fury could create.

Even as I backed away, I knew and understood that there was no malice. This was relentless ruthlessness, a way of life. And tomorrow, it will give way to calm, deceiving us into cheerful thoughts and pleasant moments, till it decided to turn colors again. In the black. In the night. 

No comments: