Sunday, July 30, 2006

Romance movies

I saw the Lake House today...I had somehow been drawn to it after watching a trailer and for once, the movie turned out to be better than promised. It helped that I saw it with N.

At the surface, it had a lot of elements which I may not find agreeable...a slightly confusing plot line, Sandra Bullock and a tender background music score. Yet the characters were endearing and the connection between them astonishingly real and natural. It was a well made movie - flowed well, and had good performances - and became a lovely movie by the way it made you smile and gasp at the right places. Like all lovely movies, it was a little sad at times. Like all lovely movies, it made you look inward and feel and think about yourself and your actions and your motives. It also kind of made me believe (at least while the movie lasted) in love and its purity and its madness and its power, the kind I once thought possible.

Though I have seen plenty (many!) so called romantic movies through the years, there are very few that have genuinely touched me. Off the cuff, I remember the following -
The French Lieutenant's Woman - the madness of love, tinged with a sense of doom and enoblement at the same time....
Before Sunrise/Sunset - the chemistry, the connection, no context, no needs
When Harry Met Sally - the growth/change in relatioships...the synonym for love - comfort.
Love and Death on Long Island - the sweetness and pain and intimacy and longing of the ones who loves
Brokeback Mountain - the sudden-ness of it all, the denial, the quiet pain, the devotion
Roman Holiday - the lightness of first love, the exploration, the wonder.

I hope I can remember the others and make a good list.

No comments: