Monday, May 31, 2004

Book

Just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving) last night.

The prolific nature and frenetic pace of my reading has been instrumental in desensitising me to most of the books I read nowdays....rarely does a book impact me - make me pause, think & feel - the way this one did. Disturbing, yes. But disturbing because it forced me to look at myself, something which I avoid doing nowdays. Disturbing because it made me acknowledge what was missing.

It was a book about love and faith, both of which I believe go hand in hand. Faith is not just a matter of religious beliefs, about whether one believes in miracles or not - did Moses make the sea part? did Ravana have 10 heads which Ram cut off? etc.etc.
One cannot love without faith. Whoever loves, he also "believes". Thats what this book reminded me. More than the crappy Nicholas Sparks mush.

I am also reading William Dalrymple's City of Djinns. A compelling, albeit amateur, view of Delhi.

Hence, these days I am indulging in 2 elements which used to be a permanent feature once upon a time - the love/faith concept ; and a sense of history.

Unni would be glad.

No comments: