Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Rediscovering beauty


Gentle, provocative and emotional. Very rarely do we get to use these words together for movies nowadays, but Memories of March was one such piece of art, sure to stay in my mind, and heart, for a long time. Particularly due to Deepti Naval’s performance as a mother who’s suddenly bereaved and goes to her son’s home & city and discovers that he’s gay…the layers and nuances of the performance left me breathless and emotional.

This is yet another part of my current mood of wistful reflection…and all books, movies, songs appear to complement each other and heighten the feeling. Or maybe it’s the reverse.

Antaheen… a muted drama about love and loneliness and loss. It had been a long time since I had seen a movie of that nature…and Barfi doesn’t count because it was a great entertainer. This one wasn’t…it was a simple offering. And I liked it.

A couple of songs from Agneepath that became my favorites recently.  O Saiyaan is this plaintive cry of someone who’s madly in love and is also conscious of the pain and loss that awaits her. Abhi mujh mein kahin speaks of the discovery of humanity within the self…the stirrings of emotion that tell us we are alive

Which led me to relisten to older songs that are perfect companions to my driving…Tanha dil…Justuju jiski thi…Yaara seeli seeli…Rubaru…Ajeeb dastan hai yeh…Waqt ne kiya. I love driving as I listen to these songs…the cacophony of the world retreats into a background blur and while my instincts keep me driving, the eyes of my mind are somewhere else as I absorb the lyrics and the voices.

Books too…Colm Toibin and his examination of the lonely life of the immigrant is so dispassionate yet so detailed that I have no option but to get completely wrapped up in their lives. And Alexander McCall Smith’s sweet and gentle stories of the lady detective in Botswana helps me remember the fundamental values and principles we cherish…or need to cherish.

And so these days pass…as the year comes to an end, and frenetic activity combined with irritation and frustration characterizes my days, a part of me has detached itself and is spending time rediscovering some depths which I had forgotten existed.






No comments: