Sunday, October 19, 2008

"hi, long time, how have u been?"

As I look back, I realise that amongst the many many many words on the subject of personal relationships that I have expressed myself on - the connect, the pain, the madness, the love, the comfort, the companionship - the favorite topic is- chemistry! A useful, versatile, nice-sounding word.

Does its versatility extend to the long-distance, online connections? For me, someone who's not a veteran "onliner" but sufficiently networked, yes. The slightly electric feel of the first connection; the unconscious smile on seeing that name appear; the ears of the mind perking up at getting a message, clear or subliminal; the re-digestion and absorption of long conversations; the wondering and the wondering....it's all been there. In many forms...the had-fun-while-it-lasted types like Ankit or Rohan, the mad-online-damp-offline types like Vik, the partly-online-partly-offline types like Sri and sometimes, appropriately rarely, the can-this-be-something types like Am or Gar...

How many people feel this like I do? Are people of certain zodiac signs more sensitive to chemistry, or is it purely individual personality? Is chemistry an end by itself, or rather, can it be? If not followed by deeper physical or emotional interaction, does it keep taut like a wire or start fizzling? Is chemistry the ultimate altar, before which all kneel, including rooted prejudices and so-called moral barriers?

I dont know. I guess I will either think about and discover my thoughts on these questions over a period of time (I don't think the word "answers" can be applied here) or just let this topic lie in my subconscious, taken out and given a dusting for a once-over when someone like an Am comes back and says "hi, long time, where have u been?"

No comments: